The moving and storage industry is very competitive. There are all kinds of companies making all kinds of claims, so it can be tough to sort through who’s reliable and who isn’t. Finding the right company can help ensure that your next local or long distance move is a stress free one, so you’ll want to be sure to make the right decision. In order to help, we’ve listed a few ways to make sure you’re hiring a good moving company. Remember, the best way to find information on a moving company is to contact them directly.
- A detailed, printed estimate form should be one of the first things you ask for when deciding on a moving company. Usually, you will get an initial quote that you’ll look over and make any necessary additions or corrections to. You should then ask for an updated quote so you’ll know exactly what to expect.
- It’s important to note that, in most cases, movers don’t need to be paid until the job is done. Quotes are usually free and a deposit for services is usually not required, if it is it will likely be small. Reconsider anyone who asks you to pay for a bulk of the services upfront.
- In all 50 states, the law requires that a moving company carry some form of insurance and liability protection. This insurance covers your belongings, to an extent, as well as the company’s personal liability. The exact extent and wording of the coverage varies but any reputable company will be able to produce a copy of their coverage.
- Check the company’s website for any signs of accreditation from reputable organizations. This may include, but isn’t limited to, a high rating from the BBB, a ProMover certification or the company being a member of the American Moving & Storage Association.
- Last, but certainly not least, read the contract in detail. The moving service contract, or moving service agreement, is different from your estimate, as is the enforceable agreement pertaining to the services to be rendered. It includes the Bill of Lading, valuation, pickup and delivery times, and other vital information. Read it in detail and don’t sign until you’re comfortable that you understand it completely.
If you follow these steps, you’ll have no trouble identifying a good moving company. The best way to find out about any business is to contact them directly and ask questions. Most moving companies are very helpful and friendly and will take the time to make sure you understand everything that goes into having a stress-free move.